Friday, May 29, 2009

WisCon!

Okay, so I didn't go to WisCon, but one of my hats did! waywardcats, who won the Jayne hat I auctioned off for Peter and Ericka's Accessible House, took said hat to WisCon this year, and offered it for auction there, to benefit the James Tiptree Jr. Award. The hat raised $80 for the award, which is an an annual literary prize given to the author of "science fiction or fantasy that expands or explores our understanding of gender" (from tiptree.org).


I never expected a single hat to do this much good. It brought $45 for the Accessible House auction, in addition to the $80 at WisCon. I have a little daydream of this hat going on to be auctioned again for some other good cause. Whether the lucky winner (and gracious donor, pictured) decides to do that, or simply keeps the hat and enjoys it, I'm extremely grateful that it's gone this far, and has both assisted someone in need and supported one of those people who make this type of fandom possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment